Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet from the HSGC.
We have a large variety of dogs, cats, rabbits and other small animals that are available for adoption from our shelter. By adopting from the HSGC, you are not only supporting your local shelter, which receives absolutely no Federal or State funding, but you are welcoming a loving pet into your home. The dogs and cats adopted from HSGC have been spayed/neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and been tested for heartworm (dogs) and feline leukemia (cats).
Please take a look at the adoption process below. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at 810.744.0511
Choosing your new pet is an important event in your life.
Here are some tips on what you should consider before, during and after adopting a pet from HSGC:
- Research the animal/breed prior to adopting.
- Include the entire family in the decision making process, if possible.
- Consider several visits before deciding on the right animal.
- Consider the supplies you will need for your new pet so they will be comfortable in their new home, such as a crate, toys and food.
- If you have other dogs in your home, they must be up to date on vaccinations and heart-worm test /prevention.
- Schedule a “Meet and Greet” with us for your resident dog and your new dog to meet each other.
- Plan on a minimum of 45 minutes to find, meet and get to know your new pet. It can’t be a rush decision.
- You must be at least 18 years old to adopt.
- Bring your driver’s license/ID, and proof of home ownership or rental information.
- There is a fee for pets. We accept cash, Discover and Visa/Mastercard.
Adoption paperwork ends 30 minutes prior to closing.
After adopting your new pet, keep us updated on their progress! With your permission, we will share their story on our social media sites.
Golden Friendship Program
- Adopter must be 65 or older
- Animal must be at least 1 yr old
- Animal must be in shelter for at least 2 weeks
Please note: Some animals may not qualify for Golden Friendship